Monday, January 31, 2011

You take the High Road and I'll take the Low Road, and we'll both play the same race in next game

 So my roleplaying group has been debating characters we wouldn't mind playing down the road in our StarWars game.
 I mentioned that I wouldn't mind playing a male Torgruta I'd designed a few years ago. Based partially off the pretty much total lack of canon male Torgruta and my extreme distaste for Ahsoka Tano, (Especially early on.) Jak, my character, was pretty much supposed to be an equally attitudinal Torgruta, only one that actually gets in trouble for his attitude, and is intended to have some dark side issues as a result of his attitude.

 This is when one of the players revealed that he wanted to ALSO play a Torgruta, also male, who would not be Jedi trained but WOULD be force sensitive and have a lightsaber.

 I have to admit, especially since I came up with the concept so long ago, my first reaction was to be annoyed, and feel copied since the characters are -so- similar sounding at the outset.

 As a follow up, I'm not sure if I'm being fair in my snap reaction or not. If the two of us had been playing Human force users, I'm not sure I'd have reacted the same way.
 Especially since I'm -pretty- sure I can predict the way his character will act. Probably quiet and uncertain, not terribly take charge.

 There's a decent chance that they'll still be pretty individual characters, but still, I can't entirely give up on feeling a LITTLE Copied, weather or not I actually am.

No comments:

Post a Comment